The VK-50 and VK-50SE preamplifiers represent the pinnacle of Balanced Audio
Technology's revolutionary Unistage® topology that was first pioneered in
the immensely popular VK-5 model.
The VK-50 family incorporates the same single-stage design principles but
makes improvements in several important areas:
- The VK-50 gain stage incorporates twelve 6922 tubes, as opposed to six in the VK-5i.
- Caddock (VK-50) and Vishay Bulk Metal Foil (VK-50SE) plate load resistors are used in place of the standard metal film types used in the older models
- Vishay Bulk Metal Foil resistors are used in the volume control attenuator.
- New more efficient current sources used in the VK-50 model provide better AC performance.
- A next-generation shunt volume attenuator now incorporates 140 steps of 0.5dB.
- A new flexible user interface that provides the following remote controllable functions:
- BALANCE adjustment
- RELATIVE VOLUME OFFSET (any input with respect to any other input)
- PHASE INVERSION setting
- MONO/STEREO setting
- MAXIMUM volume setting for any input
- FIXED volume setting for any input
- DISPLAY (Volume) mode - choice of linear counts scale or two different dB scales
- INPUT NAME assignment in multiple languages